1957 and 1960 MGAs
1957 MGA 1500 Factory Backed Sebring Car and 1960 MGA Twin Cam RoadsterView Details
1957 and 1960 MGAs
1957 MGA 1500 Factory Backed Sebring Car and 1960 MGA Twin Cam Roadster
On Display Now
1960 MGA Twin Cam Roadster
Chassis #YD3 2459
The MGA was purchased new by Karl Stickley of Binghamton, NY, and turned over to local racer Ted Rounds for the 1960 season. It became part of the infamous “Jake’s Stable” racing team. Racing out of Gordy Morris’ garage in Maryland, NY, Robert “Jake” Bucher, Sherm Decker, and Ted Rounds campaigned MG Twin Cams at tracks throughout the Northeast, including Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Marlboro, and many others with great success. The “Jake’s Stable” logo of a prancing donkey was an irreverent reference to the Ferrari prancing horse and conveyed an attitude of fierce competitiveness regardless of the odds.
The car was retired from competition in 1962 and purchased by Gordy Ruston, a member of the Binghamton Auto Racing Club (BARC) for track days and pleasure driving. The car sat for decades in Gordy’s garage until it was purchased by fellow BARC member Dan Fadden in 2006. Dan embarked on a 12 year restoration project.
In 2017, the MGA was awarded the “Historical Significance” award at the Watkins Glen Vintage Festival, completing the circle that began 57 years earlier when YD3 2459 first raced at The Glen.
1957 MGA 1500 Factory Backed Sebring Car
Chassis #HDR43 24460
The MGA is one of three factory-backed entries for the 1957 Sebring 12-hour race and is the only known survivor. Prepared by famed New York dealer J.S. Inskip, this car was entered as a part of a three-car team by U.S. distributor Hambro Automotive. Driven by David Ash, Gus Ehrman and John Van Driel, this car finished second in class and, with its two teammates, won the Manufacturers Team Prize for the highest place finish by a team.
This car also played the automotive lead role in the 1957 Amoco film, “12 to Go,” about the 1957 Sebring race.
Also of note: the car raced quite successfully during the 1959 SCCA season, driven by Ted Rounds, and took four first place trophies in eight starts at such tracks as Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Thompson and Giant’s Despair.
Past Display Cars
When the founders of the International Motor Racing Research Center were working on the details for the new archival and research facility, they knew they wanted the look and feel of a library. Some exhibit space was important, and, foremost, they envisioned space for a race car. Wide double-doors have accommodated the rolling in and out of dozens of different cars since the IMRRC opened in June 1999. The cars are displayed for a few months, often complementing a Center Conversations talk or other event.
If you have an interesting race car you’d be willing to display at the IMRRC in Watkins Glen, N.Y., please email Kip Zeiter, the Coordinator of Visitor Services and Outreach.
Among the cars the IMRRC has hosted:
Walt Hansgen's Jaguar Special
Vic Franzese's Can-Am Champagne Car
Rusty Wallace's Dodge
Phil Hill's Ferrari
Mark Donohue Sunoco Eagle
Gary Balough's Batmobile DIRT Modified
Ford GT 40
David Loring's Denali
1975 McLaren M23
2003 Dallara Chassis side
Pre-WWII flat tail midget with Ford flathead V8-60 engine owned by Al Isselhard
1957 Indy roadster
This stunning 1956 Corvette is owned by Gary Fickeisen of Moravia, N.Y.
The 1968 Shelby Mustang at the IMRRC.
1966 GT40 Mk II
1956 Jaguar XK140 at Racing Research Center
Bojangles' No. 98
Ford Boss 302R
The original Boss 302R built in 2009 for JBS Racing, Montour Falls, NY.
Maserati V8RI Built in 1936 "Poison Lil" led the very first competition lap at Watkins Glen in the 1948 "Junior Prix".