The International Motor Racing Research Center is a unique facility, entirely supported by people committed to the preservation of auto racing history worldwide. Our collections comprise almost 4,000 rare and reference books, as well as thousands of films, car racing posters and programs, magazines, rare documents, club records and photographs ‐ all donated by the enthusiasts who originally collected them.
We are proud to be the repository for several organizational racing archives, including the Sports Car Club of America and the Road Racing Drivers Club. The Center owns the archives of National Speed Sport News and the archives of John Bishop, co‐founder of IMSA.
The Center’s archival function is to preserve these records of car racing history – for today’s burdensome paperwork is tomorrow’s historical documentation. In using these materials for research, IMRRC staff and volunteers work with authors, reporters, filmmakers, television producers, race teams and fans.
Please follow these links to view all of the IMMRC collections lists:
- Collections 1997‐ 2016: The IMRRC’s holdings include more than 700 individual collections, ranging from a single work of fine art to a collection of some 93,000 images.
- Book Catalog: We are a member of the Southern Tier Library System, which catalogs all of the Center’s books. The car racing books do not circulate, but are available for use by visitors to the Center. The catalog of more than 3,500 books can be viewed here.
- DVDs: From feature films to short documentaries to full race coverages, the DVD collection holds more than 1,000 titles.
- Videos: Still in VHS or commercial format, the IMRRC’s videos are regularly being converted to DVD format. For now, the video collection numbers more than 2,500. The IMRRC also owns many films still in 8 and 16 mm formats. These, too, are being converted to DVD format as possible.
- Race Programs: The IMRRC owns almost 3,000 programs from races around the world, dating back to the turn of the 20th century to races in the most recent season.
- Periodicals: The periodicals collection includes almost 250 different titles, from just one important issue to a full run.