Cameron R. Argetsinger Award for
Outstanding Contributions to Motorsports
The Cameron R. Argetsinger Award for Outstanding Contributions to Motorsports honors a person in the motorsports industry who is recognized universally for having advanced and improved the sport, in roles that may include, but are not limited to, driver, team owner, sponsor, race promoter, journalist or official of a sponsoring or sanctioning organization. The honoree brings prestige to motorsports and demonstrates commitment to the future of racing.
Established in 2014, the inaugural award recipient was Chip Ganassi, who at the time fielded teams in the NASCAR Sprint Cup, Verizon INDYCAR and TUDOR United SportsCar Championship series. Richard Petty, the winningest driver in NASCAR history, was the 2015 honoree. The 2016 recipient was Roger Penske, who was celebrating more than 50 years involved in motorsports as a driver and team owner.
Legendary Mario Andretti is the 2017 recipient, and he will be honored on Aug. 31. Read the news release announcing the dinner here, and get all of the dinner details here. Tickets are very limited, and can be purchased here. Sponsor opportunities can be viewed here.
The award dinner, presented at the world-renowned Corning Museum of Glass in nearby Corning, N.Y., is open to the public, and ticket sales are a major source of funding for the Center.
The award memorializes Cameron R. Argetsinger, often referred to as the father of American road racing. Argetsinger was a visionary who, in 1948, conceived, organized, and drove in the first post-war road race in America through the roads of Watkins Glen. He brought Formula One to Watkins Glen International in 1961 and the circuit hosted the United States Grand Prix for 20 years. He was president of the IMRRC for five years, until his death in 2008.
- OVERVIEW of the Cameron R. Argetsinger Award for Outstanding Contributions to Motorsports, narrated by Sam Posey Watch
- PART ONE of the 2014 dinner honoring Chip Ganassi Watch
- PART TWO of the 2014 dinner honoring Chip Ganassi Watch
- PART ONE of the 2015 dinner honoring Richard Petty Watch
- PART TWO of the 2015 dinner honoring Richard Petty WATCH
- PART ONE of the 2016 dinner honoring Roger Penske WATCH
- PART TWO of the 2016 dinner honoring Roger Penske WATCH
- PART THREE of the 2016 dinner honoring Roger Penske WATCH