Walk of Fame Racers Talk Re-scheduled to Feb. 18
A Center Conversations talk about the careers of 15 racers honored in the Watkins Glen Drivers Walk of Fame, originally planned for Saturday, Jan. 21, has been re-scheduled to Feb. 18.
International Motor Racing Research Center Historian Bill Green will be joined in the discussion by fellow members of the Watkins Glen Historic Racing Committee Jim Scaptura and Rick Hughey. The spotlighted drivers represent all decades in Watkins Glen’s racing history and all race series.
This first Center Conversation of 2017, sponsored in part by the Watkins Glen Area Chamber of Commerce, will begin at 1 p.m. and is open to all. The Racing Research Center is located at 610 S. Decatur St., Watkins Glen.
A $5 donation for admission is requested to help defray costs.
The talk will be live-streamed at www.youtube.com/user/IMRRC/live or via the Center’s website at www.racingarchives.org/stream/. The talk also will be archived on the Center’s You Tube channel to watch in the future.
Green, Scaptura and Hughey will discuss 15 racers honored with a granite block in the Drivers Walk of Fame: Walter E. Hansgen, Sir Stirling Moss, Brian Redman, Sam Posey, Lyn St. James, Graham Hill, Roger Penske, David Saville Peck, Davy Jones, Roberto Guerrero, Sam Collier, Joakim Bonnier, John Surtees, Tommy Hoan and Bob Bucher.
The Watkins Glen Drivers Walk of Fame was established by the Historic Racing Committee, the Schuyler County Chamber of Commerce and Watkins Glen International in 1993 to honor racers who have competed on the Glen’s world famous circuit since 1948. Each year, the committee, now a committee of the IMRRC, adds several new markers to the Walk of Fame.
To be considered for induction into the Walk of Fame, a driver must have driven in competition at one of the four race courses used at the Glen since 1948.
The core markers of the Drivers Walk of Fame are located in the east and west sidewalks along Franklin Street. All markers in the Walk of Fame are sponsored through private donations. Most honorees in the Drivers Walk of Fame are inducted at the annual Grand Prix Festival the first Friday after Labor Day in September.
The first person inducted into the Walk of Fame was the man whose vision it was to bring racing to Watkins Glen, Cameron Argetsinger. His block was placed in the Drivers Walk of Fame at the original racing start-finish line in front of the Schuyler County Court House in 1993.
Today, 121 men and women who raced at Watkins Glen are honored in the Walk of Fame, and the 2017 class is already being planned.
Learn more about the Drivers Walk of Fame and see the complete list of honorees here.